Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bunionectomy, Round 2, Week 3

When all of those people writing about bunionectomies online say that every surgery is different, what they don't make clear is that they are including surgeries on the same person. Two weeks ago, my right foot was operated on. It was the same type of surgery at the same clinic by the same doctor. Same anesthesiologist, most of the same nurses. Completely different experience -- and I mean that in a good way.

This time, I was practically pain-free. Really truly. First I noticed that my ankle didn't ache. Then, that there was no tightening sensation across the ball of my foot and around my big toe. Initially, I thought that it was because the local hadn't worn off, but not once in two weeks did I feel anything more than twinges in the joint and some brief tightness between my first two toes. Doctor Le was as amazed as I when I went in yesterday for the cast and stitches to be removed. He kept showing me on the X-rays that there was no swelling.

Mike would like to take credit for it. He insisted that I remain in bed all day, and only "allowed" me out in the evenings. I have the kneewalker, so I wasn't using crutches except to get in and out of the bathroom. I did take the pain medications as directed, but mainly because they are part of the healing process, not because I felt I needed them. I used an ice pack at night for maybe a week, and then only for a few hours in the evening, and recently not at all.

So, now, two weeks in the boot, and then back to shoes. And with no swelling, I can be wearing cute shoes in two weeks!! So looking forward to trying on shoes I haven't been able to wear for 6 or more years; from what I see in the ads and shoe stores, they've gone out of style and come back in again. Any that don't fit now are going to St. Vincent's, and I may go shoe shopping.

The only mildly interesting thing about the whole experience is that Dr. Le told Mike that I kept moving (twitching) my leg. I asked him about it yesterday, and he said that about 20% of the surgery time was waiting for me to stop moving my leg -- and that it was the same with the left leg. In fact, the anesthesiologist asked, "Is this the lady who moves her leg?" when they started the surgery. So, I guess Mike isn't lying when he says that I kick him all night long. He'll demonstrate for you next time you see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment