Sunday, May 26, 2013

A month after -- and grateful for Crocs

Last Friday makes it four weeks since surgery. I'm out of the boot and hobbling around on one and three-quarters feet; I'm still favoring the area around my big toe. Still taking Naproxen twice a day, mainly to help keep the swelling down.

I admit it -- I was rather afraid of putting my foot down at first, but my desire to get out of the boot was stronger. The first day, I wore the post-op shoe, more for the psychological comfort of wearing a "post-op shoe." But, even though it is fully adjustable, it is still too wide for my heel and ankle, which makes it uncomfortable to walk in.


As the woman in the waiting room at the doctor's office said, it felt "weird" at first. I stood up, and was completely off-balance, a testimony to how quickly we humans adapt. After two weeks of walking balanced on one heel, I felt as if I were falling forward with every step. I walked around the bedroom, holding onto the furniture, until I felt confident that I wouldn't end up flat on my face!


Despite everything I read to the contrary, I can get my foot into several different pairs of the shoes I already own -- the Skechers clogs that I've been wearing for months now, a couple of pairs of Skechers summer shoes that are well-broken in, and my athletic shoes. And the Crocs that I bought solely to work in the yard. They have now become my shoe of choice for everyday wear.

I have gone shoe shopping twice, hoping to find a pair of adjustable sandals to wear this summer, but no luck. I would describe my foot as "puffy" rather than "swollen" -- semantics, possibly, but it's my blog and my foot and I'll call it what I want! Even the $145 Clark's were not quite adjustable enough. They went on easily enough and felt great, and then I stood up, and my foot started to swell, and . . . that was that. What I was hoping for was something like the Nike Sunray sandals, but apparently they only make them in kids' sizes. The Nike slide for women puts all of the pressure across the ball of the foot, unfortunately; I need something that straps across the instep. So, it looks like the Crocs will be seeing a lot of service for the next few weeks -- or months.

As I may have mentioned, walking is not the issue. Standing is. Walking -- hobbling -- is tiring, but it keeps the blood and whatever flowing, but once I stop, whoosh! Everything expands. Then it's back to elevation and ice. I've managed to make the coffee now for three days in a row, but any cooking that requires more standing than that is . . . problematic.

Speaking of cooking -- I wish I had taken a photo of the kitchen disaster last night. We still can't understand how it happened. Mike put a pizza on the top rack of the countertop oven. When he went to take it out, it had slid off the rack -- but not onto the rack below -- not even onto the heating elements at the bottom -- but underneath the heating elements. It was upside down underneath the heating elements, completely flat. It was a struggle to get it out, and we had to scrape most of the cheese and pepperoni off of the oven and plop it back onto the pizza -- so how did it get there in the first place?

I can only think of one logical explanation -- but he says he didn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment