Friday, May 17, 2013

Out and About in a Boot

I mentioned my two earlier forays in my previous post, but it wasn't until Wednesday that I went out and attempted to get around on my own.

Nothing tells you that you've reached middle age more than young men running to hold doors for you as you propel yourself along on your knee walker, and call you "Ma'am."

The event was our Project Recovery final conference. For those who do not know, our program received a grant three years ago to educate 30 students and place them in libraries that were damaged by hurricanes Katrina and Rita (never preceded by "hurricane" here and frequently referred to simply as "the storm.") The students all received full tuition and full-time students received a stipend. They volunteered 20 hours per week in one of the partner libraries, while part-time students volunteered 10.

I was added to the grant two years ago when Dr. Robert Ward passed away suddenly from cancer; I did not in any way replace him. Because the grant was already underway, my role has been primarily to provide necessary support and advise the students in children's and youth services and some in public or school libraries.

The event included a panel of representatives of the partner libraries, who spoke very highly of the work that our students had done for them, (just between us, in a few cases, I had to admire the speaker's ability to say something positive without lying -- not every student was exemplary), a lunch at the Faculty Club, and brief comments by each of the students.

It was a truly inspiring event. The students who attended were among the most committed and willing, and they had all grown so much over the past two or three years. They reminded me of why I am doing what I am doing.

I am glad that I went, but it wore me out. Not only have I been sedentary for the past two and a half weeks, scooting along with one knee bent is not natural, even when it is resting on a nicely padded support.

And that is why I spent Thursday in bed and didn't even bother to shower or get dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment